Sunday, March 13, 2011

what i learned in the sunshine

i am a firm believer that sunshine makes a huge difference on a person's attitude and outlook.  and since we fort worthians were blessed with such splendid weather this weekend, i knew i needed to take advantage of it.  you see, darkness had set in on my heart and was weighing me down.  but i knew two things for sure: the sunshine would do me good and spending time dwelling on God's promises would lift that fog and renew my spirit.

so, what passage did i decide to dwell on?  a friend read psalm 18 out loud me this weekend.  and, (since i can't avoid this cliche), it spoke to me.  i believe God had a plan when He put that passage on her heart that day.  here's what i learned while drinking in the peacefulness of the outdoors and warmth from the sun.

psalm 18 
(in my own words)...

God is...
my strength
my rock
my fortress
my deliverer
my God
my shield
my salvation
my stronghold

What He does for me...
save me from my enemies (and the lies satan tells me)
hears me when i cry
pays attention to me when i call for Him
defends with great fury and power


(shakes the earth in His anger toward my enemies
smoke & fire flow from Him in wrath toward those who do harm
calls the heavens to thunder, bringing hailstones and fire to battle
sets lighting flashing
commands channels of water to appear
lays the foundations of the world bare in His rebuke toward my enemies)

pulls me out of deep waters, over and over again
rescues me
He is my stay, my stronghold
brings me into an open space...to gain perspective and clear my head
delights in me (astonishing)
rewards me for my righteousness (not said to be proud...just a promise He makes to all of His children)
shows kindness
lights up the darkness around me

because of Him, i can...
storm the armies that fight against me
leap over walls (conquering life's challenges)
have strength to fight
keep from sin
climb high places (for times of great joy and celebration)
train for battle (be prepared for the next challenge that comes along...the next time i'm tempted)
be saved
be great (great in His eyes...not the world's)
be sure-footed, trusting that He has outlined my path
face my enemies without fear
pursue my enemies (face my sin and weakness head-on and conquer it)
defeat my sin
lead others


my God...
subdues the evil ones
does not rescue my enemies
LIVES
avenges evil done to me (and to all His children)
gives great deliverance
shows lovingkindness


i needed those words from Him.  and i needed that time in solitude and quiet to hear it from Him.  maybe someone else out there needs it too.  if they do, i hope this reaches them and that they are as encouraged as i am.

No comments:

Post a Comment