Monday, March 22, 2010

perspective

In case you didn't know this, I sell homes for a home builder.  Even though my title is a sales counselor.  I believe the biggest part of my job is the latter part of the title: counselor.  And that means listening A LOT.  Granted, buying a home is a big deal and it's even bigger when you're building it.  So it's understandable to need someone to walk with folks through the process and help keep them calm. 

Many times, I am, (whether consciously or unconsciously), invited into the lives of my homeowners.  I get to hear about their families, play with their kids, talk about spiritual things, and listen when they are stressed out about different parts of their lives and how it affects their feelings toward their new home. 

Today was no different.  There is a very sweet woman building a home with us.  This home means a lot to her and you could say it's purchase is bitter sweet.  You see, she is a widow.  Her husband was killed maliciously in an armed robbery...executioner style.  Imagine the horror if you were her.  To hear that news...I hope I never know what that feels like. 

But what was special about today's visit to the model home was her thoughtful words to me.  Despite her nervousness about building a home and doing it all alone, she says, "I am praying for you to find the right man.  I had a date this weekend and I know how hard it is out there.  And I just really think you deserve someone special."

She had just said, (with tears in her eyes), that this home is the home she and her husband had planned to buy together.  It made me cry, too!  But in the midst of her grief and stress of moving twice and building a home, she is considerate of me.  It humbled me.  Her genuine words of encouragement meant so much to me right now.

This is because I've wrapped up my online dating experience.  It taught me a lot about what I want and who I am.  And I'm glad I did it.  But I also know that it's time to end that experience.  I am exactly where I need to be: the right job, the right church, the right city.  And I believe that God doesn't need me to be in a huge church to "increase my odds."  Rather, He needs me to be obedient for His kingdom.  And all the other things will be added to it when it's time. 

Because I am in the right job today, this sweet woman encouraged me in a way none of my other homeowners could have because of her specific life situation.  I don't think I'll ever forget that.

3 comments:

  1. That was super encouraging! It is so freeing to walk in the knowledge that all we have to do is be obedient and God completely takes care of the rest! Hope the rest of your week is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment, maggie! i have learned that even the willingness to obey God's plan is all that He wants from us. then He'll handle the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the 2nd to last paragraph. The whole story really but especially the 2nd to last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete